Cabaret Singing to the Tune of Hong Kong’s “Crazy Rich Culcha”
“Where are you from? Where are you REALLY from?”
This trivial bit of information seems to be useful only while filling in application forms. However, what else does our place of ancestry represent? Other than a few choice slangs, Hong Kong people are all but detached from the dialects spoken fluently among the older generations. Continuing to tackle this bittersweet relationship is LauZone co-created by Yuri Ng, Anna Lo and Rick Lau. As the creative team behind the critically acclaimed and hit production Tri Ka Tsai showcased also at Tai Kwun in 2019, the multi-talented trio presents another poignant yet playful performance on the rich variety of Chinese dialects.
“Lau Zone” is the Cantonese colloquial term towards non-Cantonese natives, which essentially includes most of the older Hong Kongers being immigrants to the city. Get ready for the euphony of dialects, music, and laughter as Rick Lau and Anna Lo shine in a cabaret show that sings tribute to the lives and memories of the melting pot known as Hong Kong as well as our roots and inherited legacy.
Creative and Production Team
Co-creator, Composer, Text and Performer: Anna Lo
Co-creator, Text and Performer: Rick Lau
Director, Set and Costume Designer: Yuri Ng^
Text: Leon Ko, Leung Pak Kin, Anna Lo, William Ng OFM, Chris Shum, Tony Taylor, Yan Tung
Musicians: Wilson Lam, Rebecca Li, Antonio Serrano Jr., Victor Tsang, Wong Tak Chung
Lighting Designer: Mak Kwok Fai
Video Designers & Producers: Poon Chi Hung, Wingo Chan, Yan Chi
Sound Engineer: Candog Ha
Production and Stage Manager: Gloria Ngai
Deputy Stage Manager: Olivia Tse
Co-producer: Georgina Lo, Elaine Wong
^ By kind permission of the City Contemporary Dance Company
• Performed in Cantonese, English, Putonghua and some other dialects with partially Chinese and English surtitles
• Recommended for ages 6 and above
• No latecomers will be admitted
• Tai Kwun reserves the right to assign seats
• Programmes are subject to change without prior notice. Tai Kwun reserves the right to make the final decision regarding the arrangements.
• The events will adhere to the latest health and safety regulations and enforce social distancing measure